Friday, May 15, 2009

Chimichurri Seitan Skewer Salad

Chimichurri seitan skewers on a bed of leaf and romaine lettuces, pear tomatoes, and carrots dressed with citrus-herb vinaigrette. Based on the Candle Cafe Cookbook Seitan Skewers with Chimichurri Citrus-Herb Sauce.

Raw materials in the Garden

Notes
Recipe and Substitutions:
To prepare the skewers and sauce, I faithfully followed the cookbook recipe. After removing them from the grill, I plated them on the raw vegetables and then drizzled residual marinade and chimichurri sauce over the whole thing.
Tasting:
This salad was labor intensive but incredible. I've had Candle Cafe's skewers both at the restaurant and from the prepared food case at Whole Foods yet I preferred the homemade iteration for at least three reasons: 1) the seitan was served immediately off the grill so it didn't have time to cool and stiffen; 2) it was nice to have a full salad and both of the sauces to round out the meal; and 3) while I love the smoky flavor of grilled food and the aesthetics of char marks, I don't like food overly scorched (it's carcinogenic) and so I was able to control and reduce over-browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment