Sunday, June 13, 2010

Smoky Black Eyed Peas with Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins

Smoky Black Eyed Peas with Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins.

Smoky Black Eyed Peas.

Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins, adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking Cornbread Recipe.

Notes
1. Smoky Black Eyed Peas
Recipe:
1 large clove garlic
1/2 serrano pepper
1/2 large yellow onion
1 Tb EVOO
2/3 Cup Tempeh (4 slices)
2/3 Cup or 5 ounces Vegetable Broth (I used Imagine Brands)
1 15-ounce can Black Eyed Peas (I used Whole Foods 365 Brand)
Sauté for 8 minutes over medium
20 minutes simmer
4 Servings, Each with 188 calories

2. Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
I followed the Joy of Vegan Baking Cornbread Recipe. Regarding changes, I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour and granulated light brown sugar instead of white sugar. In terms of additions, I included one diced Jalapeño. The recipe provides that adding corn kernels is optional, but I also included 1/2 cup, after lightly roasting frozen kernels for about 10 minutes over medium heat in a dry skillet. Since I made muffins instead of a loaf, I reduced the cooking time to 15 minutes and they turned out perfectly. They had the characteristic crumbliness of corn bread without being hard or over-dry.

Tasting
The beans were smoky, flavorful, slightly spicy. I was craving this traditional southern dish, which is usually prepared with a ham hock to celebrate new years. It is best served with the cornbread crumbled over the top of beans so you get a hearty mouthful of both sets of flavors with each bite. To round out the meal, a side of sauteed collard beans or okra would be really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment